Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How to reduce facial swelling and numbness?

I just had jaw surgery 6 weeks ago and for a month I was on medication and needed ice and warm heat. My surgeon now tells me to stop taking the medication and stop using the ice and heat, but my face is still considerably swollen and numb.





What should I do/take to speed up my recovery process?|||stop getting into fights.|||O,K., first let me say that I haven%26#039;t had to do something like this before but with what I understand about the body and muscles I think I can help you. I found that most swelling is because of muscles that have been tightened because of some trauma to them. You have two sets of muscles that are the primary targets for you to feel better. Here%26#039;s the first:


Place your thumbs under your chin near the front. You should feel a very hard muscle in the middle, press into that from both sides and hold. Relax, take a deep breath and exhale and don%26#039;t tense up any part of your body. When you feel the muscle start to relax, slowly raise your head, going only as fast as the release allows, until your neck is fully extended. Release the pressure but hold your head there for one minute longer.


the next one is a little more complicated I guess, finding the place for this one is trickier.


Place your thumbs behind your ears and rest them between the jaw and the skull. I usually rest my fingers on my head while doing this one. Press in on the back of the jaw and towards the top of it and hold the pressure there. Relax again. After 30 to 45 seconds the release should be there. Slowly lift your head while maintaining the pressure but not going any faster than the release allows. When you have your neck fully extended, release the pressure but hold your head there for one minute longer.


With those muscles released you should find some relief. These exercises you can do over and over if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment